- Volunteer »
- Volunteer Fire/EMS Benefits
Volunteer Fire/EMS Benefits
Benefits to Joining WVRS
In addition to the intangible aspects of helping the community and developing life-long friendships, joining WVRS has it’s tangible perks.
All training (EMT, Paramedic, Firefighter, etc) is provided 100% free to you by the Montgomery County Fire & Rescue Training Academy in Gaithersburg, MD. In addition, all uniforms are provided for free.
Active members have access to resources through Montgomery County and the State of Maryland including:
- LOASP. A financial stipend based on years of service.
- Tuition Assistance. Access to funds to use for education related to a similar career profession (e.g. Nursing, Medical School, etc) as well as other scholarship funds only available to Montgomery County volunteers.
- Discounts. Access to sites like GovX.com for product and services discounts.
- Ride On Bus Passes. Free through Montgomery County.
- Capital Bike Share. Save $60 on an annual membership.
- MSFA Programs. Classes for college credit or continual education.
- County Employee Hiring Preference. Apply for Montgomery County positions that normally are limited to current County employees.
- Maryland Income Tax Subtraction Program. $5,000 deduction in income taxes (2019) after several years of service.