- Volunteer »
WVRS membership is extremely rewarding. To be eligible for membership at WVRS, you must:
- Be able to spend one night per week from 5:00 pm until 7:00 am at the station every week, and one shift from 12:00 pm Saturday until 12:00 pm Sunday every fourth weekend on duty with your assigned duty crew. Some duty nights have different shift times. View the full Duty Schedule to learn more. In total, members volunteer approximately 80 hours per month.
- Be at least 18 years old to be eligible for Active membership. Minors between the ages 14-20 can participate in the First Aid Unit, and members between 16 and 17 can participate in our Cadet Program. Learn more on the Junior Members page.
- Pass a physical exam and drug screening administered through Montgomery County which is free of charge for all applicants. The physical exam is much like a check up at a doctors office, with a couple of extra steps.
- Pass a criminal history background and reference check.
- Be interviewed and accepted by the membership committee.
All training, equipment, and uniforms is provided free of charge after you are accepted as a member.